Saturday, August 22, 2020

VCO retesting and more detailed sync tests

 I retested the PW on my VCO and discovered that I had forgotten to ground two points. After fixing this, my own PWM works fine without pitch dropping.

I also did a more thorough test of various sync modes:


CEM Hard sync

- Datasheet says to sync against pulses, 1volt minimum, 3v maximum

In practice in my circuit

- Needs 1nF input cap

- Square wave with 50/50 duty cycle, +/-5v works fine.

- Saw wave, rising +/-5v works but only gives half sync

- Saw wave, falling +/-5v works but only gives the other half sync, and weird (but cool) behaviour when synced oscillator frequency is higher than master.

- Amplitude and offset of sync signal does not affect it.

- Strongly affected by PW, not in a good way


Conventional HS

- Datasheet says to use -negative pulses only, 8-10V

In practice in my circuit

- Saw wave, rising, +/-5v works. Falling does not work

- Square wave with 50/50 duty cycle, +/-5v works just like saw wave (but saw wave has a slight clip on top)

- Square wave with other duty cycle than 50% does not work well.    

- Not affected by offset

- Affected by amplitude, +/-5v works best

- Strongly affected by PW, not in a good way


CEM Soft sync

- Datasheet says to use negative pulses, max 5V

In practice in my circuit

- Needs 1nF input cap

- Square wave with 50/50 duty cycle, +/-5v works fine

- Saw wave, +/-5v, rising and falling works fine and sound the same, has a darker tone than square wave???

- Strongly affected by PW, not in a good way


Sync circuit conclusion

- I think I should build at least the prototype voice card with selectable saw, inverse saw or square wave input. 

- All waves should be +/-5v

- Waves should be tapped pre-VCA/mixer. Square should have its own square wave generator that is unaffected by PW and pulse VCA.

- I should give the option to switch between all three modes - to see how it sounds in practice

- I seem to remember that there was talk about constant frequency offset vs constant pitch offset in syncs, maybe worth investigating (but is a software issue, not hw).

No comments:

Post a Comment