Tuesday, August 18, 2020

LED ring update

 I got some work done on testing the LED ring with the MAX7221 7 segment encoder today, and the results are great. Both single led and multi led indicators are feasible and each has its own use. 

I tried with various lenses but my current conclusion is that no diffuser, red lense and a black panel definitely looks the best. Using a diffuser only made it look muddy.

The MAX7221 greatly simplifies the design/code. Multiple ICs can be chained, and I also think multiple parallel devices on the SPI bus are possible. One IC covers two pots with 32 leds.


I also got some amazingly good looking knobs today, matt aluminum, no indicator. Unfortunately, they have knurled, not D shaft, so it may be hard to find an endless potentiometer to fit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment