Sunday, August 30, 2020

DIY keycaps

 I'm trying to make some keycaps for the Cherry ML that are smaller than the standard square ones. My first try was mildly successful:




These were made using 0.8mm matte black acrylic. The text is engraved while the outline is cut. On the one with text, the hole has been cut as well, and we can see that it got too hot - the thin part below the hole is bent. 

On the second one, the hole has been made by engraving 6-7 times. This generates a lot less heat. Unfortunately, I chose to cut the outline afterwards, which made the thin part bend again. I think that cutting first, then engraving, would solve the problem.

I intend to mount the 0.8mm on top of a 3-4mm clear acrylic piece. It would also be worth trying to glue the pieces first to see if the cut gets better. I could then engrave the hole and stop once I reach the clear acrylic.

The text will be filled with white Lacquer-Stik.



I will glue the keycap on top of a fastening mechanism from other keycaps. The only issue is to get a good bond between the acrylic and the ABS which the keycap is probably made of. I've found a glue that promises ok results - Acri Bond 120.

Finally, I did the cutting with less powerful settings than our laser manual states.

3mm clear/black: speed 40, power 100

0.8mm black: speed 100, power 100

No comments:

Post a Comment