Sunday, April 10, 2022

Analog switches and V logic

A quick note on the DG series analog switches:

I've successfully run at least one of these with a V_l (logic level voltage) of 15V while controlling the chip from a 5V MCU.

As I considered doing this for all switches (but with 3.3v logic level), I did a quick search that turned up these three posts:

"How do I connect the DG403 logic supply (VL) pin?"

"switches - VL input on analog switch"

"Analog Switch switching voltage (DG412)"

They don't give the exact same answer though. The Renesas one says to use a 5V supply (even for 3.3v logic), derived from the 15V using a resistor voltage divider with high value resistors.

Now, they may not be talking about the same chip as the DG series are produced by a variety of suppliers, but at least it sort of validates just using a voltage divider.

The stack exchange post starts talking about excessive current draw. 

The modwiggler post suggests using zener diodes or a resistor divider connected to an emitter follower. 

For now, I'll stick with V_l = 5V but I'll test doing it with a resistor divider.

No comments:

Post a Comment