Monday, March 23, 2020

Massive progress on the XM8

After discovering that JLCPCB.com can do surface mount assembly incredibly cheap, I suddenly got back into working on the XM8 again. It has been on hold for some time since I got a son last May, but now I'm on paternity leave and he actually sleeps quite a lot!

Anyway, I have finished SMD versions of the Moog ladder filter, Juno 6/60/106 OTA filter and Jupiter 6 SVF, all in extended versions with much more functionality than the originals.

I've also revisited my DCO design, created new S&H cards, ring modulation, noise (white, pink, red), waveshaper, quad VCAs (v2164 based), CEM3340 oscillator cards and finally a prototype of a 32 diode LED-ring for potentiometer/encoder visualisations (phew).

I am waiting for all but the VCA, JP6 filter, CEM3340 and diode ring to arrive, production finished a week ago. I'm super exited! I'll post some images separately.

In the meantime I've also tried doing a more detailed version of the XM8 synth-voice schemas:

Signal flow, pre wave bus (VCOs, DCOs, other sources)

Signal flow, post wave bus (filters etc)

Details of the waveshapers. Not sure I will do super saw.



No comments:

Post a Comment